Sunday, November 6, 2011

I finished my MBA Degree!

I had been away for more than a year... Apologies.

At the age of 50, I decided to take my MBA (Masters of Business Administration) from Arcadia University of Pennsylvania at their Singapore Campus. After giving it much thought and after looking at my bank account- yes, I decided to take my MBA. And I finished it with flying colors. Juggling work, family and school- it was not easy. But I did it!

Looking back, I relocated to Singapore soon after I quit my MBA studies in the Philippines. It was something I didn't regret because after 10 years, I knew that even without it I had progressed well. Without an MBA (but with degrees in Psychology and Law) my responsibilities still increased from South East Asia to Asia, South Africa and now, Asia-Oceania (over-seeing an HR organization responsible for 16,500 people).

What made me decide to study again at the age of 50, when I am already at the height of my career in HR?

First, I want to finish an unfinished business. I started my MBA at the Ateneo Business School in the Philippines way back in 1999 but because of my promotion from a Country HR role to a South East Asian HR role, I quit. Travelling had been too much and HR projects really kept me away from my school assignments and classroom lessons. I have no choice but to change my priorities. I told myself "Let go of MBA, take the opportunities in your HR career." I was so sad when I let go however, I told myself that time will come that I would pick it up again and finish it. Never had I started something that I had not finished. So in July 2010, I started my MBA again in Singapore (again from zero, because the subjects I took in the Philippines were already obsolete).

Second, I want to put up my own business when I retire from my HR employment. And because I want to be a good and smart entrepreneur, I thought an MBA will help me.

So is MBA indeed my obsession? Maybe. I know I need it. I took it as a preparation for my semi-retirement when I can be my own boss. That's why I paid for my own MBA, I did it for my own use, not for my employer :-)

I have no regrets. I learned a lot, I gained lots of friends and widened my network, and I passed with flying colors. A GPA of 3.53/4.00 who could ask for more?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your MBA Degree. It is a great achievement.

I am also planning to pursue part-time MBA. I did some research on them. I short-listed few Part-time courses based on Fees, Accreditation and duration. I am more interested to take US MBA.

I came across Acardia University MBA in Singapore. I liked the program but still got some doubts. How is your University experience? Do you recommend this MBA?

Thanks

Unknown said...

Wineyard Technologies conduct live seminar in Hyderabad that helps our Live Projects in Hyderabad students to prepare for their presentations.

S said...


Hi, I really love your website! I’m contacting you because I’ve written a book entitled Never Marry a Momma's Boy: and 62 other men to avoid like the plague and I am hoping to get the word out about my new book! You can guess that this book is about types of men that women should steer clear of at all costs. It is a funny and smart read that I’m really proud of! If you would be interested, I would be thrilled to write a guest blog on your site. Please feel free to contact me at susanconner99@gmail.com. Thank you for your time!
Susan Conner
http://www.amazon.com/Never-Marry-Mommas-Boy-plague/dp/148119240X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360469848&sr=8-1&keywords=never+marry+a+momma%27s+boy

way2 college said...

Investment in a Business Management program is much more beneficial compared to investment in other academic programs. Perhaps, more so in the current situation of recession. Thanks for sharing...
Cat Entrance Exam

Unknown said...

Wonderful Blog.......
B Tech Distance Education
B Tech Through Distance Education in Chennai
M.Tech Distance Learning
B.Tech Correspondence in india
MBA Distance Learning Programs
MCA Distance Education in India Approved by AICTE

Karalius said...

Congrats! Thats a big thing! Wishing you all the best success!

Sheran said...

Congratulations to you.
It is really very easy to adapt a secured dental insurance. Anyone can follow a stand alone dental discount plans available in Colorado . Go and grab your desired plan to ensure a better dental health and well being.

Classboat said...

Learn graphic designing classes in Pune
Graphic Design Classes in Pune

Classboat said...

Want your career in aviation. Visit
Animation Courses in Mumbai

shutterupp said...

Thanks for sharing this blog i love to read it
find the best educational institues online

Boookart said...

Thanks for sharing this content i like to read it
COAL INDIA TRAINEE book