Thursday, April 22, 2010

Indulge once in a while

I am so happy my hubby arrived from overseas today. I was at work when he arrived so I went home immediately to check on him. The last time we were together was during the Easter holidays, just two weeks ago.

As usual, my hubby offered to go to the grocery to buy some foodstuff so he could cook us a good warm meal for dinner. He knows that even though I am a very good cook, nowadays due to my work and travel, I seldom cook for my kids. I just buy "ready made" meals or rely on food delivery services.

My hubby cooked a sinful dish but one which he knows I would be tempted to eat despite my self-imposed healthy regime. The dish is "Binagoongang Baboy" or fatty pork slices cooked slowly with fermented shrimp fries until they almost melt on their own fat. Anyway, I had a wonderful dinner with my hubby and two kids as I forgot what "diet" means.

Guilty as I was, I tried to rationalize why I let go of my diet and what I should do to overcome my guilt. I made reasons like: "my hubby cooked the dish so I need to show appreciation," "this is just once in a while," "I could exercise double the time tomorrow," "I will skip lunch tomorrow," or "I promise, I will never do it again."

After a while, I realized I am being silly for feeling so guilty. Who says it's a sin to eat what you've been missing especially if it was especially cooked for you by someone you love? No one. I won't go to jail for doing it and it will not bar me from going to heaven!

Realizing this, I immediately decided to bend my self-made rules. I will now allow myself to indulge once in a while when the temptation is too much especially when I feel I would die of just looking at my favorite dish as it is served to me.

The problem would be, how frequent "once-in-a-while" opportunities would present themselves to me?

Should I deliberately stay away from each opportunity though I would feel like dying because I would just be looking? Or should I grab the once-in-while opportunity but feel guilty afterwards? I don't know. It depends. I will just act according to my conscience when the situation arises.

Uh oh, what are you thinking? Of course I am still talking about food!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How nice to have your Hubby 1) back at home, and 2) prepared to pitch in!